| Home evacuated after fire
Published: April 6, 2008
A blaze on Bouton Street forced three children out of their home and destroyed their belongings Sunday evening.
Deputy Fire Marshal John McGuirk said the cause of the fire, at 25 Bouton St., is still under investigation. No parents were in the house when the fire started, but McGuirk heard that a "mentor" was present. He did not have the ages of all children, but said the oldest was 12.
The fire began in a bedroom, where the children slept, and spread through the rest of the second floor apartment. After putting out the blaze, firefighters tossed burnt belonings, such as beds and clothing, out of the window to make room for an inspection.
"It's going to be unfit for occupancy," McGuirk said of the second floor apartment. South Norwalk Electric and Water was able to keep power running on the first floor, allowing tenants there to stay in their apartment.
A resident of a house across the street, where the children were staying, did not wish to comment.
Art Cruz, who lives down the road, said he saw smoke pouring out of the house, and he praised firefighters for quickly extinguishing the fire.
"I don't know who called the Fire Department, but they got here pretty quick," he said.