In the past week or so, small fires around the city have been keeping members of Local 830 busy.
3 Ivy Place - Plt 4 - 5/17/19 - Members were dispatched to a possible fire inside of an oven. Upon arrival, companies saw a light smoke coming from an egress door on the B-Side of a 1.5 Story Mulitiple-Family Dwelling. The first crews inside were met with a grease fire on top of the stove top in the top-floor apartment. Members quickly knocked the fire down with water cans while a line was stretched by Engine 2. After minor overhaul, the fire was brought under control. E2, E1, E5 (RIT), T2, T1, R2, C2 and FM7 responded with a total of 20 suppression personnel.
250 Westport Avenue - PLT 2 - 5/19/19 - At the same time as a car fire on Interstate 95 S/B was occurring, Members were dispatched to a structure fire at 250 Westport Avenue. Upon arrival, Deputy Chief Prescott found a detached HVAC unit/dumpster/Storage shed on fire. Engine 2 made quick attack on the fire and easily brought it under control. E2 and T1 remained on scene to overhaul and extinguish any hot spots.
62 Walter Avenue - PLT 3 - 5/20/19 - At 2:20 AM, members of L830 were dispatched to a structure fire on Walter Avenue, with the resident complaining of smoke in a closet with an unknown source. Upon arrival, crews did not intitially see anything from the exterior of the 2.5 Sotry Multiple Family dwelling, but found heavy smoke in the attic. After minutes of attempting to locate the source of the smoke, thermal imaging cameras alerted members to heavy heat in the ceiling between the second-story apartment and attic. After truck companies opened up, fire was found to be running a bay in the ceiling. 1 line was stretched and quickly extinguished the fire.
14 Valleyview Drive - PLT 4 - 5/26/19 - At 6:09 PM, crews were notified of a possible structure fire in a house under renovation. During response, dispatch notified companies that neighbors were attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Upon arrival, crews were met with a light smoke condition visible from the A-Side of the building. After a 360 was performed, a heavy smoke condition was found in the rear kitchen area. Crews forced the front door to gain access to the single-family residence. Within a couple minutes, a bag of sawdust that was on fire was located by Rescue 2, and found to be the source of the smoke. The bag was quickly removed and building was vented using possitive-pressure ventilation.