- 3 - 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- 2. Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. If time does not allow, 3 - 4 hours on high will work.
- 3. Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.
Serves 4 HANGRY firefighters