Pasta and Sausage with Broccoli Rabe
- 2 bunches of broccoli rabe
- 2 lbs hot sausage (casings removed)
- 2 lbs. cavetelli or other favorite tube-type pasta
- 1 quart-size College Inn chicken broth container
- 1 large garlic bulb
- 2 cans of Progresso Cannellini Beans (White Beans) - drained
- Dash of hot pepper flakes
- Sea Salt, Ground Pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 loaf of olive oil ciabbatta bread with a good olive oil for dipping
- In a large pot, boil water and mix in half of the chicken broth.
- Remove casings from the sausage and chop into small chunks
- Chop garlic and set aside.
- When the water comes to a boil, place Broccoli Rabe in the pot for 1 minute.
- Remove the Broccoli Rabe by taking it out of the pot with a slotted spoon and preserve the water. Drain well and set aside.
- Place pasta in the same water as used for the Broccoli and cook per directions.
- Sautee the garlic in equal parts of olive oil and chicken broth (about 1/2 cup each)
- When the garlic is light brown, add the sausage and cook until almost done.
- Add the Broccoli Rabe and the Cannellini Beans to the sautee pan and heat through. Add some chicken broth if mixture appears to be dry.
- Drain pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Pour the sausage and broccoli mixture over it and mix well. Top with fresh shredded Parmesean cheese, sea salt and ground pepper.
- Serve with the ciabbatta bread and olive oil as a side dish.
Yield: 4 (firehouse) servings.
Calories: who cares?